Saturday, July 11, 2009

Outlining and Why I Don't Do It

Outlining works for some people and I'll admit that it did get me through the first chapter. But, to me, they just seem so organized, you know, with the numbers and letters and I'm like: Writing a book is not an English assignment. There are no specific guidelines to writing one. You just have to have a plot and know where your characters are going in this plot. That said, I take notes. I make list. I write them down. I store them in my head. Screw outlines. I mean, what's the point of outlining when you know exactly what's going to happen from the beginning all the way through to the end. Okay, I don't know what's going to happen at the end, but that's the point of writing, right? Paving your own road to wherever it is your story is gonna go.

THINGS I KNOW ABOUT SHADOW

1. I have four MC's: Victoria, Brayden, Gillian, and Wesley.

2. There are Angels, Demons, Shadows, and a whole bunch of other creatures that make me want to lock my closet door at night.

3. Death is personified, and despite all the things you know about him, he's really a nice guy.

4. Victoria's cousin, Devon, is apart of a gang called The 72 Princes and they're up to no good.

5. Victoria's mother has "Alzheimer's"

6. Gabriel is sexy *

7. The Seven Deadly Sins play a part in this novel

8. Decessus is a real place *

9. Fallen Angels are way better than vampires

10. It's an urban fantasy that keeps me up at night because it is too damn scary

That is not all I know about my novel. In fact, I know so much that I could probably marry it, if that were even possible. But that's good. When writing a novel, you have to know EVERYTHING about it, or else you won't know what the heck you're doing.

* I had a dream about Shadow last night. This is not the first dream, I had about my novel. But in this one, I was actually in Decessus, which means death in Latin. And though, there are all this dark, gray, lifeless creatures there, moaning in the pitch black of the night, I wasn't scared. And that was mainly because I saw Gabriel! Who is Victoria's sexy love interest. Sorry to give the guy airs but seriously, not only is he hot but for an Angel he is so bad. 'Nough said.

Okay, time to go put on some music and write some more.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com