Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Teaser Tuesday

I know that I'm posting this a bit early in the morning but this is my first one. I kinda like the idea of this whole alliteration thing, you know like Teaser Tuesday, Widget Wednesday etc.

Though I have only a 1,000 words of Shadow written. I just churned this teaser out today and I'm quite proud of it. This novel is weird to write for me. I can't seem to write it the traditional way, like from scene 1 to scene 2. Instead I'm writing scenes all over the place and I hope that I can piece them together.

I'm still trying to grasp Dawn's character because she's really different from me. And I cringe when telling her story because though I want it to make sense I don't want it to be cliche. I struggle with that the most.

In this scene, I feel that there is some incredible dialogue. Well, I might just be patting my back for no reason.

Without farther ado, my first Teaser Tuesday:

I'd send my guidance counselor to Hell, if it were actually possible. She stared at me, her icy blue gaze washing over me like a wave. I wanted to tell her to take a picture, it would last longer but none of my snarky remarks would help me now. I had at least 30 minutes left of this and then I would be free.
"When was the last time you did anything fun?" she asked, staring down at her clipboard.
I breathed a sigh of relief and then shrugged, as if she could see me. She probably could with the way her eyes seemed to dart at any signs of movement. They were like watch dogs, only scarier.
"Well, our definitions of fun could be really different," I said, smirking.
"Try me."
"Urs...I mean my mother usually is at work and I'm at home smoking weed and having sex with my next door neighbor. Doesn't that sound fun to you?"
I expected that stone cold expression to waver, but it was stronger than the Wall of China, though I'm sure it's been around way longer.
"Victoria..."
"Please, don't call me Victoria. It's Dawn."
"As I was saying, Dawn, you need to stop being so nonchalant about this entire situation."
"Oh, and tell me, how am I supposed to act?"
My voice was lined with sarcasm but instead of going into another bitch rant, she placed her clipboard on the table beside her and fixed her eyes on me once more.
"Well, you tell me?"
"Honestly, I don't think I want to."
She sighed and for once in the two days I've been coming to see her, I saw a glimmer of emotion on her face. It was as if she were tired of me fooling around. If I weren't Dawn, a full-fledged Soul Bringer, I would have actually cared but I just shrugged and looked down at my nails. They were in dire need of a manicure.
"Let's talk about your relationship with your parents."
"My parents?"
"Yes, that's what I said."
"Well, Ursula is always working and when she's home, well, she tries to be a mother but she's really not."
"Go on."
"Go on with what? I answered your question."
She picked up her clipboard and scribbled something. Her hand moved quickly across the paper and I wondered if what she was writing would be legible.
"What about your father? Do you have a good relationship with him?"
"I never knew him."
"Your mother never..."
"Look, I understand you're doing your job and stuff, but I don't understand what this has to do with anything. I lost my..."
It was coming. I could feel it. They were clawing at the barriers I kept up, getting closer and closer to freedom. I expected Mrs. Blair to smile or stick her tongue out because she had finally won or maybe she was winning all along. I was just a sore loser. I had come in here for two (now three) days straight thinking that I could make it seem that I, Dawn Montgomery, was okay. The truth was, I wasn't. I couldn't be.
After a few droplets escaped and slid down my cheeks, Mrs. Blair handed me the box of tissues she kept on the table. I took a couple and dabbed at my eyes. All the while, she stared at me.
"This is good."
"What? That I'm still grieving over my boyfriend or that I'm crying?"
"It's both. Dawn, it is normal for one to feel this way. You've lost someone you loved and now you're expressing your emotions. There is nothing to be ashamed of."
"Like I needed you to tell me that." The venom behind that statement was washed away by a sniffle that brought forth another waterfall.
"No, you didn't, but sometimes we all need help discovering ourselves."
I wanted to tell her that she should be a spokesperson for "coming out of the closet" but I kept my mouth shut.
"So you're saying that who I am has to do with Denny's death? That really doesn't make since."
"It's not supposed to. Life doesn't make since, if it did I would not be here talking to you."
"That sounds good to me."
Surprisingly, Mrs. Blair laughed at that and in spite of myself, I smiled.
"Does this mean I'm off the hook? I don't have to see you anymore."
"Not quite. Problems don't fix themselves in one day."
"But I've been coming to see for more than that."
"That's true but the other two sessions you gave me a hard time and we've got so much to explore. Besides, I was starting to think that you liked me."
"Yeah, right."
What do you think? Well, I know nobody is reading this but if someone happens to drop by, please tell me, I am dying to know.

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com