Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Teaser Tuesday

Happy Teaser Tuesday everyone!

It feels like I haven't did one of these in a long long time. But my days are getting hectic. School is almost here, and I really don't want to go back. The only good thing about going back to school I think is the new clothes.

Unfortunately though, I caught a cold off of my little cousin and if it doesn't clear up, I might not be able to go back the first day. Lucky me, right?

Ooh and I'm going to the bookstore today! I'm so glad Blood Promise and Break came out today, so I won't have to make two trips.

I haven't writing as much as I want to. I'm still having the usual doubts. I don't know what genre I want to stick to writing. Then there's the fact that every time I think of something new, I see a book that is similar to the idea and then I have to scrap it.

I took a few Shadow notes yesterday. I decided that having four MC's wasn't the best idea. And I am thinking maybe I should try writing it in first person. As for Under the Jeweled Sky, I am trying to flesh out my characters to make them three-dimensional.

I have been doing a lot of research though. Since UTJS is based on a lot of mythology, I have to look up everything I can.

Have Mercy is one story that I'm still working out the kinks. I've been having a few doubts about it, seeing as though I don't really write contemporary. The plot has changed dramatically and I really don't know if it might work out, but I really like it.

Okay, enough of my rambling.

This snippet is from Have Mercy.


There were a lot of people I didn't feel like talking to today, and Colby Reynolds was one of those people. She was sitting on the porch, when we pulled into the drive. The engine died, letting out one loud noisy wheeze. As I got out of the car, her eyes locked with mine. Shit.

"Hey Colby," my father said. His voice was flat, but he flashed her a soft smile which she returned with her famous mega watt one. But I could see the glint in her sparkling blue eyes. She didn't make it her business to hide it from me either.

"Oh, hi, Mr. Summerville," she replied. "How are you today?"

Her voice was obnoxiously sweet. I wanted to puke. "Fine, fine."

"That's good," she replied.

My father nodded his head, and went in the house. The door banged shut behind him. We were alone. Me and Colby. She was staring at me. I was staring at her. Her cheeks turned red, her eyes caught on fire. She closed the distance between us.

Slap.

"What the hell was that for?" I asked, touching my cheek.

"Don't play dumb, Alden," she spat, "I heard about who you screwed at Richie's party."

"Your point?"

"The girl you were locking lips with was my cousin, Amber."

Amber. Amber. Right, that was her name. I was pretty drunk that night, at Richie's party, so I really didn't get her name and I kind of forgotten what she looked like.

"I'm still not seeing your point."

"She's freakin' fifteen! That's my fuckin' point! You better be glad I didn't tell my brother about this because he would have..."

I stopped listening to her. My thoughts were on other things. Fifteen. She was fifteen. I screwed a fifteen year old. Oh, shit. I looked up at Colby.

"Is she okay? I didn't get her pregnant or anything."

"No, thank God." There was a glimmer in her eyes. A strand of her blond hair fell in front of her eyes. "I just don't know why you didn't tell me."

I nodded, "Oh, I forgot. I have to tell you about every girl I have sex with. Well, let's see, there's..."

She rolled her eyes. "Alden, you're a jerk, you know that?"

"Look, I'm sorry. I'm just really having a fucked up day."

"What's wrong?"

There was so many things I could say to answer her question. I could tell her the truth. I could tell her part of the truth, or I could lie. I didn't want to do any of those things, so I just shrugged.

"Nothing," I replied, "and for what it's worth, I didn't know she was your cousin or that she was fifteen."

"That still doesn't make everything alright."

"What do you mean? I told you I didn't know she was...."

"It doesn't make it alright for you to go down on the first person you see the night after we break up."

"Well, you said you wanted to start seeing other people."

"I know," she said.

"Then why do you care?"

"I don't." Her lips tightened, and then she moved around me. "Look, I'll see you at school or something, alright?"

"Yeah, sure. Bye." She descended down the steps and across the lawn. I didn't wait to see if she went inside her house.

Beatrice was cleaning when I walked into the kitchen. Scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing. Down on her hand and knees, her sleeves pulled up. Cleaning. The counters were as white as snow. Squeaky clean, but she just kept scrubbing. Just like my father, she had weird quirks that only showed when she was angry or whatever. She didn't look up at me when I opened the refrigerator and pulled out a beer. She didn't look at me as I twisted the top off and took a swig. I wanted her to though. I wanted her to look at me like I was a demon from her own personal hell. I wanted her to have something to complain to my father about. But she just kept scrubbing.

"You missed a spot," I said. Beatrice muttered something under her breath, and then threw the sponge in the sink. As she passed by, she glanced at me, that look, that look that I wanted so very much to see, pasted on her face. I smirked. Sometimes I wondered if her and my father were truly made for each other.

She left the room without saying a single word.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss shadow :(
I really like Have Mercy! I think you have nailed it with MC voice...

Laura McMeeking said...

I agree with the above comment! I love the MC's voice, and I the banter between the two characters here was spot on! The short, snappy sentences added to the quick pace of the voice. I really want to read some more of this!!

VĂ©ro L said...

This was very well written. I found it very interesting.

Stephanie said...

Very awesome. I love the voice here. Great teaser :D

Katie Ashley said...

I liked this! The voice is great, and I'm stoked to find another story written from a male's perspective. I could totally kick Alden in the balls right now for being such a manwhore! LOL

Rebecca A. Rogers said...

I LOVE the voice!!! I'm glad you and Krista are writing/wrote male perspectives! Can't wait to read more of this!!! :D

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com