Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Teaser Tuesday

Wow, it feels like I haven't done a Teaser Tuesday in a long long time.

Um, okay. Today's teaser is from Shadow when I tried writing it in first person.


The room was dark in a matter of minutes, save for the bright white light that streamed in through the window.

"So, what are you doing after school?" he asked, his voice almost a whisper. The movie was starting now. I've seen Romeo and Juliet before, so I really didn't have any reason to pay attention. But I didn't want to sit here and talk to Sloan. It was too dangerous. The way he made me feel. The way I let myself succumb to his charms, if you could even call it that- was risky. I couldn't let myself give in.

"Why do you care?"

"Well," he moved his chair over until we were thigh to thigh. I didn't want to focus on how near he was, but the jolt of electricity that shot through my veins wasn't making it easy for me. My lips started to numb, and my mouth went dry.

This wasn't good.

"I was wondering if you wanted to, you know, catch a movie or something after-school." I jerked my head in his direction. He was asking me out on a date? I liked him. Maybe even more than I should, and I knew that he was sort of fixed on me. Even Lola, who deemed herself an expert in the art of 'chemistry', declared that Sloan was 'totally into me.' In another world we could be an item, but this was reality and I couldn't be alone with him. I couldn't risk his life. I couldn't let him be another....

"Well?" he pushed. The eagerness in this voice was unusual for him. It was almost like he needed me to say yes, but he didn't know what kind of darkness I could bring into his life. If he knew, he would want me to say no.

"No," I replied.

Sighing, he sank back in his chair. I don't know why, but I turned to look at him. A strand of hair fell in front of his eyes, as he met my gaze. "I just don't get it..." He paused. There was a crease in his eyebrows. "Are you a lesbian?"

My eyes widened, but before I could say anything, he placed his hand on my shoulder. A jolt of electricity shot through my veins. "Because if you are, I'm cool with it. There's nothing wrong with liking girls. Believe me, I understand."

I was aware of the eyes that were on us now. Not everyone had heard what Sloan had said but we had enough attention. I shrugged away from him, dropping my voice. "You're an idiot."

"Look, if it makes you feel better, I'll watch you make out with some chick and I won't even be disgusted or anything."

"I'm not a lesbian, Sloan," I muttered.

He crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair, "Hey, it's either that or you're stupid." His head tilted to the side. "You're like one of the smartest girls in the entire junior class, so that only leaves the first theory."

"Theory?" I wanted to kick myself for asking. A part of me knew that whatever he was going to say would make me mad. He curled his finger around a strand of my hair, and gently placed it behind my ear. His touch made my skin crawl.

"Usually girls fall head over heals for me, you on the other hand, don't. So, if you put two and two together..."

"Just because I don't want to shove my tongue down your throat like some..."

Something moved in my peripheral vision. I averted my eyes and looked out the window. The snow was falling to the ground in tired white clusters. Everything, from the trees, the cars parked in the parking lot, the rooftops of the houses across the street, were covered in it's crystalline splendor. The hair on the back of my neck stood up. My mouth went dry. Despite the fact that the heat was on in the room, a chill resonated through my body.

Someone was watching me.

7 comments:

in which a girl reads said...

This is great Ely!

Awesome tension, Sloan is hawt, and the dialogue is realistic!

AND SUCH A TEASE! Haha, cliffhanger ending!

I loved this :)

Laura McMeeking said...

I laughed out loud several times during this and got weird looks from the hubby. That guy is just soooo full of himself! Great voice. And then total suspense at the end!!

Emilia Plater said...

WHOA. The ending!
I have total experience with in-class creeper. Ugghh~!
Funny scene... I loved it :)

Rebecca A. Rogers said...

BAHAHAHA!! I love Sloan. ;)

But now I REALLY want to know who's watching her. Eek! You little cliffhanger diva you! :P

Amna said...

The last line. Oh, my god. The last line....

VĂ©ro L said...

creepy ending!!! I both like and dislike Sloan at the same time... he's just so full of himself!! LOL

Karla Calalang said...

Sloan seems so hot, but I agree with the others, his ego is huge! haha

This was a great snip. Your writing is great :)

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com