Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Teaser Tuesday

Okay, this is the first time in a very long time that I have posted a Teaser Tuesday, so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

This is from Have Mercy and because this is a duo narrative, I decided that it is time to introduce you to my female MC. "Tallister "Mercy" Coleman. In the previous post, there is the cast of characters and you can find a little bit more about her and what she looks like. I haven't edited this or anything, so it probably lacks some description and I really don't know where the conversation between the guys came from. I'm feeling a little meh about it, so please, if it sounds a bit odd, tell me.

Oh and here's some background information. Tallister spends the night sleeping in school on some nights because of her mother's abusive boyfriend. She's scared of him and the only reason why she picks the boy's locker room over the girl's is because it's always immediately locked and luckily for her the boy's isn't. But one of the boys happened to have a key...

The door let out a loud squeal, as I pushed it open. I stood silently in the doorway, hoping that I was the only one here, like always. When I didn't hear any voices or approaching footsteps, I slid inside and locked the door behind me. It was dark, save for the one flickering light that sat above the lockers. Some were left open, setting free the pungent smell of an odor I was familiar with.

Sweat and feet.

Gym socks.

Covering my nose, I moved over to my usual spot. It was in the shower room which, thankfully was right next to a door that led to the hallway. If someone came in, I could easily escape.

Droplets of water slid down the walls from the showerhead. Drip. Drip. Drip. I slid off my sweatshirt, the chill of the room stinging my skin. Taking off the rest of my clothes, I turned on the water, and soon I was submerged into a waterfall of lukewarm water. I let it slide down my body, letting it untangle my nerves.

The sound of the bell ringing rang through the locker room, sent relief through my veins. All the students should be out of the building and the teachers should be on their way out too. No one usually came into the boy's locker room, so I was alone.

I was safe.

After showering, I dried myself off with a towel and slid into some pajamas from my bag. There was a bench just outside the showers. It was as tall as me and was perfect for sleeping on. Turning off the light, I curled up into a ball on the bench and listened. Inhale. Exhale. Nothingness. It was quiet. I was alone. Everyone was gone. No yells. No screams. No hits. No drunken words. There was just peace.

I closed my eyes.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Something clicked.

I jumped up and looked at the direction of the noise. It was coming from the far right of the locker room. The door. The knob was slowly turning and then I could hear voices. Guys voices. Of course, this was the boy's locker room.

"We are going to kick ass this weekend."

"Yeah, they won't even know what hit 'em."

"We'll have them crying like..." I was already moving to hide in the space between the lockers. In the rush to get away, I jammed my bare toe and let out a low squeal.

The guys stopped talking.

"Chico, you hear that?" I covered my mouth, hoping they would just go away.

"Yeah, it sounded like a mouse or something." The boy "Chico" replied. I could hear footsteps. They sounded close, but I could be mistaken. I didn't want to find out. I crushed myself against the wall, and sucked in my stomach.

"I don't see anything."

"Al better have his ass on that field tomorrow. I wonder why he didn't show up today. He's been acting weird lately."

"What? You think we can't win the game without him, eh?"

"Nah, it's not that. But he is our star Quarterback..." A locker slammed shut.

"All I know is, if he doesn't show, he doesn't show. If he does, then he does. Who gives a fuck, anyway? I sure as hell don't."

There was silence.

"You won't believe who I'm taking to Prom, bro."

"Who? Is it that Stacia girl?"

"No, it's that new girl. The one in our Physics class. Kendra."

"Her? Damn. She's muy caliente. How'd you hook up with her?"

"I don't know man, but she was all over me last night. I'm telling you bro she..." My nose started to itch, and before I knew it, I was sneezing. And it wasn't one of those graceful ones either, but it was loud-loud enough for those boys to hear it.

"I knew someone was in here, man."

There were those footsteps again.

Closer.

Closer.

Closer.

A shadow fell over me.

6 comments:

Debra Driza said...

Dude, this doesn't read rough at all! I thought it was great, and had plenty of descriptive details--the smell of gym socks, the drip of the shower. I got tense just waiting for her to be discovered.

Awesome job!

Raven M said...

Thanks!

Annie McElfresh said...

Great writing :) Loved it! I could literally smell the stink of gym socks! Gross LOL!

And can I just say that I was majorly freaked at the end! :)

Great snip!

madeline said...

Wow. Awesome. That was great!

J.S. Wood said...

Oh man, poor girl. I wonder what will happen when they find her. It sounds great!

VĂ©ro L said...

You tease! I agree that the descriptions were great!

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com