Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Balancing the WIP(S?)

Okay, I know every writer has this problem. You know what I am talking about. One moment you're into your one novel, writing and writing and sometimes you stop and say "What the Hell am I doing?" Okay, maybe you don't say that but I say that A LOT. So much that I really answer myself (haven't you heard that writers are schizophrenics?)

I am known for completely dropping an idea, to go sell my soul to another. My writing friends have scolded me on this before, and though I listen to them then, it's hard to break a habit, don't you agree?

Here's where I say something corny and Twilight related like: Writing is like my own personal brand of heroin, except every idea is so different and so addictive that if I don't have it....I'll go crazy! (mind you I already have)

But the point of this idea, is to know how does one balance several ideas and still stay afloat or in other words, sane, if that's even a word to us writers.

If anyone knows, please tell me and I promise I will love you forever and ever, because this is torture. I feel like a bad mother for neglecting Shadow to write this other novel (even though it has fairies and vampires and a whole variety of mythical creatures, including zombies. Yeah, you don't hear about those a lot.)

Shiny New Idea Syndrome + Love + Rain = Urban Fantasy

This is the part where I brag about my new idea. If you don't want to hear (or read) about this, then the door is that way.

But anyways, for the past couple of days, I've been having an affair. While I was writing Shadow, I couldn't help but romanticize about a world where mythical/magical creatures coexisted with today's world.

I like fantasy but I can never bring myself to make up my own world because I'm lazy and...yeah.

Well anywho, it wouldn't be a secret that said creatures existed either. People would actually know about them! What really made me love this idea, was that I am not your normal girl. I know you thought I was normal, but the truth is I'm a little weird. I would want to live in the world with fairies and talking animals and vampires and werewolves....Ooh it would be so awesome!

Unfortuneatly, the humans in this story don't think so. Instead, they use these creatures for the magic and they treat them like scum.

I know you're like, why can't they revolt are something? Well, here's the thing. These creatures are from another world that is controlled by a Key, whoever has that key controls the creatures.

Yeah, there's a whole lot more to this then meets the eye, and hopefully, next week I'll be able to post a snippet.

Plus, there's this one fairy guy in the story, who is so hot!

Ahh, I love falling for fictional characters.

In Which I Talk About Books And Much I Love Them (Spoilers Ahead)

I know my little bookshelf over there, doesn't have a lot of books on there, but I have read a lot in my past fifteen years of life. I was told that you need to read, in order to write well.

But I just finished The Mortal Instruments series a few days back, and I love those books! I really do. They're even better than Twilight (I know me just saying that hurt a lot of my friends who are devote Twilighters) but it's the truth.

The only thing that bothered me was the ending of COG. It was too abrupt for me, I wanted more of Jace and Clary, especially since they just now found out that they weren't brother and sister.

I had this feeling deep down in my stomach, about that though. And I kinda figured that Sebastian was her brother, that was really obvious, considering the story, and what was going on but all in all they kept me on the edge of my seat and I really can't wait (and I stress can't) for the prequels to come out in 2010.

I'm about to order Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. She's another one of my favorite authors and if I wasn't enticed by magical creatures and what not, I'd definitely write contemporary romance.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. There were a million times when I was less than half way through my now-finished novel where I was distracted by a shiny, pretty new idea. And this was after I had restarted writing this one at least seven times!

Anonymous said...

Fellow Mortal Instruments fan!!! *tackles* You are awesome! (Simply because your taste in books is awesome.) :D

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com