Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Teaser Tuesday

So, it's Tuesday. Ever since school started, I either can't write because of homework or because I can't seem to figure out how to start writing. I've been trying not to stress about it, but I NEED to write. And I did write. Well, I don't know what to think of it but it is contemporary. That's what I know for sure. There isn't a title and I don't really have a plot. I just have this character named Gina and yeah.

So enjoy!


Working at Sasha's had it's ups and downs. The ups: It was a couple of blocks from my house, so I didn't have to spend money on gas or beg my brother to let me borrow his car. The pay was great and since it was a clothing store, I got a 20% discount off of jeans. The downs: The other staff members, which consisted of Amber, Lacey, Jill, and Candy were emotional wrecks and had problems everyday except for Wednesdays and Fridays-when I wasn't there.

Today, the downs of working at Sasha's outweighed the ups. My day was starting out just fine. It didn't rain, so I got to wear these cute flats that I bought at the mall last week. The poor excuse for hair that sat on my head was finally cooperating with me and my mom wasn't going around the house groaning about how fat she was, when really she was so small I could wrap her around my finger. And strangely, I found myself walking into Sasha's with a pep in my step and a smile on my face. I even put a dollar into the charity box. Okay, I won't lie. I totally took that dollar back out when no one was looking, but still, it's the thought that counts.

I went to the back, changed into the drab black apron all of Sasha's employees had to wear and I didn't even complain once the customers started to rally in. I was helping a girl find a shirt to go with these blue sea-shell earrings she found, when the storm started. Candy and Jill flocked over to Amber, who was a red mess, as she sat on the counter. Her red curls were falling around her face, matching the scarlet tint to her cheeks.

"What am I going to do?" she would ask and then she would sob for a few minutes, and then ramble on about something that I didn't catch. The girl with the shirt ended up leaving, once Amber literally fell out on the floor.

Rolling my eyes, I went into each of the dressing rooms and gathered up the clothes and hangers people left behind. Lacey was filing her nails in one. She looked up at me, with her usual blank, bored expression plain on her face.

"'Sup," she said.

"Hey," I replied, turning to leave.

"Her boyfriend just dumped her," she continued.

I rolled my eyes. As if I really cared about why that girl was bawling her eyes out. I mean, this wasn't anything new. If it wasn't a broken nail or a bad test grade, it was a fight they had with their parents the night before or boys. It was mostly boys, though. And every time they ogled shyly at a cute boy walking around, I could feel myself shooting evil glares at them. They were stupid. For one, you don't ever make a guy think you're into him. Most guys, especially the good looking ones, had egos the same size as Texas. They will play off of your affections and then drop you, moving on to the next game. And the fact that Amber was crying over a guy, made me want to waltz over there and slap the crap out of her.

"That's too bad," was all I said and then I continued doing my job, because that's what this was. A job, not some talk show where people sit around and talk about their emotions. Please. That's why they had Dr. Phil.

"I keep thinking he was just joking with me. I mean...it was just a text message. He wouldn't break up with me...over a text message, would he?" Jill handed her another tissue, and started rubbing her back. All Candy could do for the past half-hour was shake her head.

"You'll find someone new," she said. "I mean, didn't I see Rick checking you out yesterday. He's hot."

"Hmm-mmm," Jill aggreed.

"Y'all are so supportive and everything but I can't go seeing any other guy. Pete might have just..." I couldn't take it anymore. I shoved a pair of jeans back on a hanger and moved over to wear Amber and her friends stood. Their eyes widened, as they assessed my presence. Jill smiled softly, but Candy regarded me with a scowl, which I gladly returned. When my glare didn't waver, she glued her eyes to the floor and I turned my attention to Amber.

"Will you stop crying over a guy who doesn't give a damn about you?"

"But..." she mumbled.

"But nothing. If you don't get up off your butt and do something productive, I'm going to call Stacy and you and I know, she'll really give you something to cry about."

Candy flicked a strand of her platinum blond hair out of her eyes, and let loose a low chuckle. But even so, the three dispersed quicker than a forest fire. Stacy was our boss and I know most people don't like their employers, but Stacy was my idol. I'd trade my mom for her anyday. She was firm and didn't take bull from anyone, like me.

"Who died and made her Queen Bitch?" I heard Candy mutter. I was just about to show her what a bitch was, when Amber placed her hand on my shoulder. After all the crying she's subjected me to, you'd think the girl would get the hint and back off, but now, here she was, touching my shoulder.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Well..." she started,"You're tough and all...and I was wondering whether you can give me some advice. You know, about guys?"

Her eyes were wide with hope. But really. Did I look like I had "Dr. Gina Cooper" stamped on my head.

I guess I did.

10 comments:

Emilia Plater said...

Lol @ poor excuse for hair. I know that feeling. Quicker than a forest fire... nice metaphor.

So sharp! I like it :)

Anonymous said...

Loved it! I'd read more :)

Raven M said...

Thanks guys ^_^

CJ Paris said...

"I totally took that dollar back out when no one was looking, but still, it's the thought that counts."

:D Funny as hell to the end!

Kristin Halbrook said...

I love that same line - the one about the dollar. So funny! This has good voice; I like the almost stream-of-consciousness style.

Karla Calalang said...

This is awesome! I'd totally read more of it. And yes, very funny!

DrunkenLilacs said...

LOL at the charity box sentence. And this is so cute (the dialogue, voice, whole scenery) definitely a tease!

Kaitlin Ward said...

Very funny! I enjoyed it.

Rebecca A. Rogers said...

Dude. This is AWESOME!!! :D

Annie McElfresh said...

Hahahahahaha Great job :)

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com