Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Teaser Tuesday

So, I have a lot of really good news. For one, my computer fixed itself! I want to thank all the lovely Tech people at AW. Though I didn't use any of their advice, it will come in handy if anything should happen again. But I've put all of my writing in a safe place, so if my computer decides to go haywire, well I'll still be able to write.

I've decided to take a break from writing from Victoria's point of view. Mercy (formally entitled Shadow) has four points of views. I know that's crazy, but I'm crazy, so we're a match made in heaven.

Also, Blood Promise comes out in 21 days! I seriously can't wait for it!

Well, anyways, I won't kill y'all with my fangirl squeals so today, I have two teasers. I don't know if that's ever been done in Teaser Tuesday history but I just love this scene from this untitled WIP I have and I feel like sharing.

Untitled snippet

"I was very pleased that he could come. Most of the plumbers I've called hung up on me the moment I told them where I lived."
She seemed baffled and somewhat confused by this and for a moment I wondered if she knew that she was indeed a little weird. And then, my eyes widened. Only a whack job would volunteer to come here, unless he was unaware of what type of person my grandmother was. He probably agrees with half of the stuff Ruby talks about and Nicky is in the kitchen with him. Alone.

I started towards the kitchen, my heart literally in my throat. This guy could be roasting Nicky in a cauldron or performing some kind of satanic ritual that involved the drinking of blood. As I stepped into the kitchen, my eyes swam around the room, only to roll back into my head when they took in the scene.

"Slide your card back in the deck."

Nicky was showing Aiden one of his famous card tricks. He wasn't exactly good at this type of thing but people thought it was cute and usually didn't care. I never took him seriously when he was using 'magic' but this plumber guy seemed just as geeked as Nicky was.

I studied him. He had sleek blond curls that were pulled back into a ponytail. Though furrowed, his eyes were an icy gray. A smile played on his full pink lips as Nicky shuffled the deck of cards. After messily mixing the cards together, Nicky pulled one out and showed it to Aiden. His eyes widened and then he started clapping.
"That was awesome. You're pretty good for a little guy," he said.

Gee thanks Aiden for saying that to him. Now he's going to have a big head for the rest of the week. As if they were just breaking free from their own little world, they looked up at me and Nicky smiled.
"Mel! I did it! I did it!"
"Great," I muttered "you're a real Houdini."
My little brother smiled up at me and then skipped out of the room. I would have told him to stay by my side but what could possibly happen to him inside this house.
"So you must be Nicky's sister. He's said a lot about you." I turned my attention to Aiden, who was standing only inches away from me. My heart thumped in my chest at how close he was. In spite of myself, warmth engulfed my cheeks. I nodded, not really interested in anything he had to say. Though he didn't seem like a nut job or anything, I just didn't feel like talking. Aiden didn't seem to notice.

"I'm Aiden, by the way," he said, holding out his hand.
I stared down at his hand for a moment, wondering at it. Did anybody still shake hands these days? After realizing that I wasn't going to to take it, he returned his arm to his side. "Ruby said you were here to fix a leak."
"Yeah, I'm finished now."
There was another awkward silence between us and then he went back over to the sink and commenced in gathering his tools.
"So, you're going to Dover High."
He didn't say this as a question. It was more like he knew this as a fact and he was just trying to make small-talk.
"Yeah, I guess."
"It's a good school."
"Really?"
"Yeah, I go there."
"Are you a senior?" I asked, flatly.
"No, I'm seventeen. Junior."
He looked up at me, a strand of golden hair falling in front of his right eye. His lips pulled up at the corners, revealing a dimple on his cheek. After picking up the last of his tools, he closed his toolbox and erected his posture.
Something about him just didn't seem right. He was a young guy who seemed normal and yet he was here, at my grandmother's house. Did he not know how crazy she was or was he just doing this for the money?
I watched as he took a glass out of the cupboard. It was the only cupboard with glasses in it because Ruby didn't like mixing her dishes together. Like my father, she was a neat freak. And the only way anyone could know that was if they've been here more than once.
"How often do you come here?" I asked.
"Miss Blake is a nice lady. She gets lonely sometimes, so my sister and I usually come over."
He pulled open the fridge and took out some orange juice.
"Want some?" he asked.
"No, thanks," I replied.
Shrugging, he poured himself a tall glass and put the juice away. I thought he would down his drink and leave but instead he sat across from me. God, couldn't a guy take a hint?
"I have to wait for my brother to come get me," he explained.
I felt my cheeks getting hot. Maybe I wasn't doing a good job hiding my misanthropic behavior after all.


Mercy snippet


The rain fell from the sky like a thousand pieces of shattered glass. It danced across the roof of the car and slid down Gillian's window, making the world look like a giant blur. She stared at the glittery parade, lost in the memories that it held. Amongst the soft pitter patter - the skidding of tires and blood-curdling screams - could be heard. The sounds merged together, painting a clear portrait of the night that changed her life forever. Her throat tightened and soon, her mind was spinning round and round. She could remember the bright lights, the numbness, her sister beside her, there one moment, gone the next. It all happened so fast. Her hand was gripping the steering wheel, her feet were pressed down on the brakes, but there was nothing she could do.

"There was," she whispered, a cool tear sliding down her cheek.

"Excuse me?" The gruff voice shook her out of her reverie. She looked over to find that the taxicab driver was staring at her, his brows furrowed.

"Nothing," she murmured.

"Well, that'll be ten bucks."

Reaching inside her pocket, she pulled out a few soggy bills and handed it to him. He flipped through the money in his gloved hands, counting raspily to himself. He nodded to her when he realized that it was the right amount and she got out, slamming the door shut behind her. She quickly stepped onto the sidewalk, and the car sped away, splashing water onto her bare legs. A chill resonated through her body, and the rain- which had looked like glass- felt like sharpened daggers against her skin. It seeped through her thin jacket, and made her long red hair cling to her face. She could see a bus shelter just ahead. Wrapping her arms around her torso, she moved towards it- only to find that someone was already there.



8 comments:

Speech Delay Mamma said...

You have a really nice way of writing. I enjoyed it!

Raven M said...

Thanks = )

Kaitlin Ward said...

Awesome snippets!

Katie Ashley said...

Ooh, the Mercy snippet was so descriptive and such beauty...I love the flashback.....

Aw, sweet dude coming to help out around the house...I smell a romance forming...

Annie McElfresh said...

Great Snip :) Loved it

Sarah said...

I never took him seriously when he was using 'magic' but this plumber guy seemed just as geeked as Nicky was.


LOL! Great line!

Anonymous said...

Two teasers.. I love you :)

Elana Johnson said...

Oooh, I'm looking forward to Blood Promise too. 21 days?? Dang, I better make myself a note.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com